Thank you for considering donating your gently used items to us!
The Coplay Public Library welcomes donations for our book sales three times a year in October, November, and April as part of the fundraising initiative for our annual budget. It is through the donation of gently used books, DVDs, music/audiobook CDs, and jigsaw puzzles (No missing pieces, please!) from generous people like you that our book sales have been such a success!
Unfortunately, we cannot accept all materials. Sometimes we need to turn away items which might still have value to someone, but not to us. Please take a moment to look at the following guidelines for donated materials, including items that we do not accept:
- Donations are NOT accepted the week of any book sale to give us time to properly sort and shelve items.
- Items MUST be donated during Library hours and NOT put in the book drop or left outside.
- All donated items must be in good condition.
- If they have been stored in basements, attics, or garages they are most likely unacceptable.
- Large donations (more than 3 boxes or bags)
- If you have a large quantity of items to donate, please call the Library first. Donated items are evaluated with care and there is limited storage space for them while they are being processed.
- The library is a 501(c)3.
- Receipts for tax purposes may be requested. However, donors must count items in these four categories:
- Hardback books
- Paperback books
- CDs (music or audiobooks)
- By law, the library cannot set values for donated materials.
- All donated items become the property of the Coplay Public Library.
- Dictionaries or thesauri
- Law or medical books
- Readers Digest condensed books
- World records books
- Most magazines (including National Geographic)
- VHS & cassette tapes
- Items that have been stored in a basement, attic, or garage that may be very dirty or have a musty odor (due to possibility of mold)
- Items that are very old or damaged in any way - including:
- Missing pages
- Torn pages
- Yellowed pages
- Dusty covers
- Broken spines
- Writing, coloring, or highlighting
- Water damage or stains
- Offensive odors
Disposing of Items the Library Cannot Accept
We understand your desire to give back, so we would like to offer the following alternatives. Please be advised that it would be best to call or email ahead of time in order to check with these locations about their donation policies and guidelines and to ensure they are accepting items ate this time.
- 2nd & Charles: 2590 MacArthur Rd. Whitehall, PA 18052; 610-776-1903
- American Family Services Family Thrift Shoppe: 1025 MacArthur Rd. Whitehall, PA 18052; 610-435-1230
- Better World Books Drop-boxes
- Goodwill Store & Donation Center: 2675 MacArthur Rd. Whitehall, PA 18052; 610-294-4600
- Local family centers
- Local senior centers
- Salvation Army Family Store: 1195 Mickley Rd. Whitehall, PA 18052; 570-823-4248; email@example.com
- Sixth Street Shelter: 219 North 6th St. #4111 Allentown, PA 18102; 610-435-1490
- Allentown Recycling Center is open to all Lehigh Valley residents.