The Board of Directors of the Coplay Public Library is seeking a qualified candidate for the part-time (22 hours per week) position of Library Director. CPL is a member of the Lehigh-Carbon Library Cooperative serving the Lehigh Valley area. We are seeking a dynamic and innovative leader to provide meaningful, quality, library services and programs. The successful candidate will lead and manage the daily operations of the library, including budget management, and collection development, as well as perform all basic library functions while working with local governments and community partners.
The candidate must possess:
- Pennsylvania Public Library Certification for a Library Assistant
- Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance
- FBI Criminal Background Check
The candidate must also have:
- Completed at least 2 academic years of college education in an institution approved by the appropriate Commonwealth agency or accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools or equivalent accrediting agency.
- Completed 9 credit hours of courses in library service at institutions approved by the appropriate Commonwealth agency or accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools or equivalent accrediting agency.
The Director shall:
- Attend Coplay Public Library Board meetings and prepare reports and documents as needed.
- Hire, discipline, or discharge and Coplay Public Library employee at the discretion of the Coplay Public Library Board.
- Prepare annual performance assessments for the employees.
- Have the responsibility for collection development for all materials in the Coplay Public Library, this includes selection, ordering, processing, weeding, and inventory of the collections according to the guidelines in the Materials Selection Policy.
- Serve as chief advisor to the Coplay Public Library Board and recommend revisions to Coplay Public Library policies as needed.
- Schedule working hours for all employees.
Major Responsibilities of the Library Director (Director Job Description)
A. Staff development
- Organize and supervise staff, schedules, and functions
- Perform regular performance evaluations
- Make recommendations for personnel policies
- Coordinate volunteer activities
- Encourage and foster a team environment
B. Financial management
- Purchasing books, DVDs, and other materials and overseeing cash intake
- Monitor expenditures
- Write and administer grants
- Support the Board of Directors' and Friends' fundraising activities
- Ensure the library meets the requirements for state-aided public libraries
- Works closely with the Library bookkeeper to ensure proper spending
- Keep library personnel up to date
- Use marketing and public relations avenues to inform the community of changes and events
- Maintain positive relationships with local municipal entities and local business contacts
- Prepare reports for the Board of Directors and the Office of Commonwealth Libraries as needed
- Manage patron interactions in a polite and professional manner
D. Interpersonal skills/professionalism
- Exhibit effective and positive communication skills with staff, board members, and the public
- Exhibits flexibility, initiative, and self-direction
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude
E. Collection development
- Follow the Collection Development Policy and revise it to keep it timely
- Adjust formats to reflect patron needs
- Display print collections for ease of access
F. Facilities management
- Maintain a safe facility both indoors and out
- Ensure the facility is clean and well maintained
- Repair or replace broken/damaged furniture/equipment promptly
- Attend Allentown District and Lehigh-Carbon Library Cooperative (LCLC) meetings and ensure compliance with the Allentown District agreement and LCLC policies
- Attend 8 credits of continuing education opportunities offered to comply with state requirements
- Maintain continuing education credit records for eligible staff (employees averaging 20 or more hours per week)
- Stay current on issues affecting public libraries: library policies and the law, technology, privacy, employment law, and collection licensing, etc.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter with three references to:
Borough of Coplay
98 S. 4th Street
Coplay, PA 18037
The application deadline is January 31, 2023..